Regretfully in the face of the continuing escalation of the known cases of Covid -19 and increasing risk to members and volunteers the Young 88 Association has decided that the only prudent option is to postpone the Nationals until later in the year.

A survey of competitors highlighted concern and stress among the fleet and the likelihood of up to 40% dropout before Saturday of boats and crews affected in one way or another. This reduction in competitors further marginalises an event that was already going to be missing the very popular social element.

Class President Mike Leyland said “This was a really tough decision for us to make, and I really feel for those crews who were keen to have a bit of a break with some great sailing. We are confident that it is the right call and we would rather look back and be glad we overreacted than regret not doing enough”.

New plans and dates will be announced when the situation is clearer.